custom background

Monday, November 5, 2012

Spiced Pumpkin Butter


Spiced and slightly sweet holiday spread for cookies, bagels, and sauces

Photo credit for pumpkins: Teo Flikr
One jar of finished Spiced Pumpkin Butter


 The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley…– Robert Burns

I’m being overly dramatic in using Rabbie Burns’ quote about our best laid out plans going awry, but really today has turned out so different than I planned! Two kids home from school at the same time and an unexpected and disappointing result when researching what I thought was a health food. I discovered said health food in 2011; article listing out all the negative side effects posted in 2010. Ah well, writers – and especially mothers – are adept at quickly changing gears and reworking plans.

The Kids
There are two different nasty little viruses working their way thru my sons’ school. First son started complaining of feeling ill and acted puny last night. Low grade fever, fatigue, no appetite, plugged nose. Second son seemed totally unaffected. Was super high energy at breakfast this morning, regular appetite, and happily waved good-bye from the schoolbus window. I knew it wasn’t going to be a super productive day with a sick kiddo at home, but he was quietly resting so I got a couple things done and stayed optimistic. An hour later I get a call from school… now second son has a low grade fever, redness at the back of his neck, and just isn’t acting like himself. Could I please take him home? So much for the start of the week chores or to do list! Regardless, I am determined to get this posted before midnight. I’ll type as I can between the adjunct nursing, waitressing and refereeing duties.

The Health food & “Natural” Sweetener
I was planning to present some info on the benefits of the natural and lower-glycemic sweetener, Agave Nectar. I really enjoy using it because it has a delicate flavor, is easier to pour than honey, and because I thought it was a healthier choice than regular sugars. I was even thinking about how to work it in to promote November as National Diabetes Awareness Month. (My youngest son has type 1 Diabetes and uses an insulin pump. I have many friends and a few family members managing type 2 Diabetes.) THEN I started my overdue research. And discovered, to my chagrin, that many folks with diabetes completely avoid Agave. While low in glucose, it is rather excessively high in fructose. Like almost double the fructose found in high-fructose corn syrup. Yikes! And it evidently raises triglycerides. For more info see this article on "Debunking the Blue Agave Myth." Bummer! I’ve been using my Agave Nectar rather sparingly, so will continue to use up what I have in hand. But once it’s gone I think I’ll stick with truly natural maple syrup.

Ingredients for Spiced Pumpkin Butter

 
The Recipe Background
I just this year heard about Pumpkin Butter. I’d heard about Apple Butter before, and hubby bought me a jar a few weeks ago to try. Since I’m still on my pumpkin kick, I immediately wondered if there was such a thing as Pumpkin Butter. Hop on the internet and voila! Dozens of examples of delicious sounding recipes. And easy-sounding preparation.

Now my original intention with this blog was to just post my tried and true, time tested recipes. However, this turned out so tasty, and worked so beautifully in a savory recipe I made up, that I just have to share it, even before working out all the bugs. My batch turned a lovely dark orange, but I’m still wondering if I could have simmered a tad longer for a thicker, stickier consistency. It’s not quite as jam-like as the apple butter I have. If I come up with tweaks on subsequent batches, I will post any updates.

I viewed numerous versions of recipes for pumpkin butter on the internet before honing in on the recipe posted at Tidy Mom Blog. Her blend of spices was comprehensive and I liked the addition of lemon juice and alcohol to round out the flavors. I went on to make several changes - I used apple cider rather than juice, because I find apple juice cloying and bland. I replaced and reduced the typical sugar, using light agave syrup. I also added molasses because I love the flavor and think it pairs well with pumpkin. I reduced the cinnamon and increased the cloves – you may want to tweak spice measurements to your own tastes.

Serving Suggestion - bagels, creamcheese & pumpkin butter


Pumpkin Butter can be used like a jam, on bagels, crackers or jam-filled cookies. I also plan to experiment with adding it to more savory dishes, and will soon post a recipe for Pumpkin Pork Pie filling, where the pumpkin butter takes the place of tomatoes in a seasonal variation on the always delicious Canadian Pork Pie. Stay tuned.

Recipe inspired by Cheryl at Tidy Mom Blog - Her blog entry has a NOTE OF CAUTION – the USDA recommends AGAINST canning pumpkin butter; recommend refrigerating & eating all within 6 days.

Spiced Pumpkin Butter

Ingredients:
3 cups pumpkin puree or 2 (15 oz) cans
1 cup apple cider
1 Tbsp brandy

½ cup agave syrup
2 Tbsp molasses

2 tsps ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves

1½ Tbsps lemon juice

Directions:
  1. Pour pumpkin puree into large pot. Add in cider and brandy, stir with wooden spoon to combine.
  2. Add sweeteners, stir to combine.
  3. Add in all spices, stir to combine. Consistency should be smooth and all ingredients incorporated.
  4. Bring mixture up to a sputtering simmer on high heat, then reduce heat and simmer on low for at least 30 mins. Stir as needed - I stirred frequently. Pumpkin butter is done when the volume has decreased, the color has noticeably darkened, and the consistency has thickened – similar to a jam.
  5. Turn off heat, add in lemon juice and stir. Take off heat and let cool completely.
  6. Pour into empty jam jars (or other containers with an airtight lid).
  7. Keep refrigerated.
Recipe yielded 2 jam jars full; about 26 oz. Feel free to halve the recipe for a smaller yield or just share the extras with friends.

ALLERGENS: no top 8 allergens

No comments:

Post a Comment